Fantastic, FREE and well-organised event and really well attended (10,000). Enjoy family fun and attractions that include:
- Battle re-enactment events with swords and longbow archery
- Viking Parade, battle re-enactments
- Period weapons display
- Craft stalls and Viking food
- Viking combat competition
- Crafts display and living history in tented Viking settlement
- Food stalls and side attractions
- Themed gardens with longboat, shields, decorations and manakins
The area around Heysham was historically colonised by Vikings and within the grounds and St Peter's Church itself are Viking remains such as a Viking hogback stone.
Following the conquering invasion of the Vikings and settlement about AD 787 the settlement eventually converted to Christianity. Locally place names ending in -by, -thorpe, -thwaite indicate historic settlements.
The Viking festival is just one of a very active local set of festivals that commemorate the rish living history of the area.