This historic church is situated in Heysham village and is well worth a visit. Either walk along the Prom and into Heysham village or drive and park nearby roadside or visit the Royal Hotel.
The church itself dates from 1000AD and the graveyard provides and amazing vantage point that overlooks the entire Morecambe Bay. Both externally and internally the building and artifacts are spectacular and treasure-trove of history. The most obvious signs the building is grade I listed include the stone architecture, stained glass windows and timber roof structure.
A prominent Viking gravestone known as a hogsback stone was found in the church yard in the early 1800's and is displayed within the church. Long, curved and with hand carved decoration along it's length, the stone is thought to date from circa 950AD.
This beautiful church bares all the hallmarks associated with multiple phases of development, though each successive addition appears to have enhanced the building so that it stands today as a solid integrated structure crafted from natural materials such as sandstone and slate.
As you enter the church from the western doorway the layout consists of a three bay nave with isles running north to south. This is the area under the continuous roof. Under the pitched roofs is a 2 bay chancel and a memorial chapel (St Andrew's). During excavation in the mid 1800's for the memorial chapel extension a stone tomb containing the skeleton of an early rector was discovered. The chalice (portions of) that the skeleton had a clasped to its chest is displayed in a glass case set within the chapel wall and above it a brass plaque.
Across from the church and within the village are tea rooms,
Visitors are welcome to visit St Peter's, but large groups are requested to contact the parish office in advance, so a guide can be arranged.
See website contact us page for latest contact details.
St Patrick's Chapel
Adjacent to the church and accessible via stone steps leading up to it is St Patrick's Chapel, a ruined building on the headland promontory it is thought to date from 600AD.